Monday, June 25, 2012

Preconstruction meeting and kitchen lights

Today was our preconstruction meeting.  We met our PM Mike, who was very helpful and great fielding our multiple questions.  We don't break ground until the week of July 9, but since both us and our PM are out of town on vacation next week, we pushed it up to today.  Overall, I walked out with a good feeling, knowing we're in good hands with a guy that really knows his stuff and really makes you feel like he truly cares.  He said "Never, ever feel like you're bothering me.  I don't care if you text me at 3am, I will respond to you the second I look at my phone."

We even got to meet our new neighbor across the street.  His house is the furthest along, being the only one framed yet.  He stopped into the model home to drop something off during our meeting.
There's a lot of activity going on.  His house totally framed, three basements poured, piles of lumber and windows, and another hole dug waiting for concrete. 

One thing we talked about in detail was the under cabinet lights.  I was looking at buying the "hockey puck" type at Home Depot or Lowes, and added an additional receptacle in the kitchen.  But, when the PM and I discussed it, he changed my mind.  Either there's a wire hanging down to the receptacle, or I have to drill holes into the cabinets to get to the receptacle behind the microwave.  Either way, it's hokey.  So, we're going prewired.  It was a $595 add, but deducted $75 for the receptacle I added and about $100 for the purchase of the lights afterwards.  So, a total add of around $400 so that it's done right, worth the price.

Overall, I left today feeling good and knowing I'll be taking our PM up on his offer of always bugging him and visiting a lot!

4 comments:

  1. It's nice to hear that your PM is open to communication. That is one of the things I like best about ours: quick responses and he never acts like I'm bugging him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Under cabinet liting is worth it. We priced it ours and the lights they use retail for about 70/ each. There's 5 lights they install....the math worked out in our favor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ryan Vee. It was kind of a spur of the moment decision. Typically, I like to research the heck out of things, but just quickly decided its worth the cost for it to look right and added the change order right there. It's good to hear confirmation it was the right decision.

      Delete
  3. You're lucky... our PM won't even give us his cell number :(.

    ReplyDelete